Finding a good camera shouldn’t be too difficult given how many cameras exist now. They are literally everywhere.
I learned right away that the cameras were pretty much all standardized. They came in a few flavors but overall they were either too small, too wide, or too expensive. That helped me limit stuff down a lot.
- not much distortion (fish eye is bad)
- resolution > 720p
- USB preferable
- Flush mounted
- hardened housing
I found this one right off by searching for “USB Camera”. It has a lot of good points that seem to match what I am looking for. I didn’t need the hardware shell but I can take that off I assume.
- Special intelligent video analysis triggering alarm
- Imager sensor: Color 1⁄4” CMOS
- Effective Pixels: 300K pixels
- Resolution: 640*480
- Frame rate: VGA/CIF@30FPS
- Mini.Illumination: 0.5LUX
- Lens: 3.6mm
- White balance: Auto
- SNR : 49Db
- Interface: USB2.0
- Video Format: YUY2
- OS: Windows 2003/2008/XP/Vista/WIN7
- Power: DC 5V, Power from PC
This one seemed pretty cool as an option:
It also came with a mini processor to send the data out. I just didn’t need all that.
This picture specifically cracked me up.
Seriously? It’s like the whiskey mouse.
I wanted to have a smaller camera for a visible footprint. I also know that the image quality doesn’t have to be very good to get a face match. In fact I will probably decrease the size of the image when it comes over. If I used a 1080p camera it would be wasted data.
- 100 degree M7 lens usb webcam for wide angle video image
- Standard M7 mini lens with super wide angle FOV(D)138 (H)100 Degree
- max 1280X720@ 30fps HD 720P high resolution
- usb2.0 high speed mini size 32x32/26x26mm for small space insert
- 1 Meter usb cord cable, support raspberry pi, opencv etc.
- Sensor OV9712
- Lens Size 1⁄4 inch
- Pixel Size 3.0um X 3.0um
- image area 3888m x 2430m
- Max. Resolution 1280(H)X720(V)
- Compression format MJPEG / YUV2（YUYV）
- Resolution & frame MJPEG：320X240@ 30fps, 352X288@ 30fps
- 640X360@60fps,640X480@ 30fps
- 800X600@ 30fps,1280X720@ 30fps
- YUV： 320X240@ 30fps,352X288@ 30fps
- 640X360@30fps,640X480@ 30fps
- 800X600@ 15fps,1280X720@ 5fps
- S/N Ratio 40dB
- Dynamic Range 69dB
- Sensitivity 3.7V/lux-sec@550nm
- Mini illumination 0. 1lux
- Shutter Type Electronic rolling shutter / Frame exposure
- Connecting Port type USB2.0 High Speed
- Free Drive Protocol USB Video Class（UVC）
- Support OTG Protocol USB2.0 OTG
- AEC Support
- AEB Support
- AGC Support
- Adjustable parameters Brightness, Contrast, Saturation, Hue, Sharpness, Gamma,Gain, White balance, Backlight Contrast, Exposure
- Lens Parameter Standard M7 LENS FOV(D)138 (H)100 Degree
- LED board power connector Support 2P-2.0mm socket
- Power supply USB BUS POWER 4P-2.0mm socket
- Power supply DC5V
- Operating Voltage 120mA~180mA
- Working current -10～70℃
- Working temperature -20～85℃
- Board size /Weight 32X32mm（Compatible 26X26mm）/ about 30g
- Cable Standard 1M
- Operating system request Win7 Win8,Mac os, Linux 2.6 or above,Android 4.0 or above