So the PO was rough on the vehicle. Probably multiple PO’s.
Included are some pictures to show the detail we went to in repairing and rebuilding the brake systems.
The brake system had been WORKED. They were pretty much shot. When we got it the pedal hit the floor. It didn’t want to stop so the ride to the shop was a bit of a terror show for that 2 miles. Yes we sourced this model locally. Right down the street actually.
I decided to stick with the drum brakes that were included. Given that we aren’t changing the dynamics of the vehicle much the rear brakes are just fine as drums. We have a great mechanic that was able to knock out the drum rebuilds in a hurry. He had obviously been doing this for a while.
As you will notice it has discs up front. We don’t know where those came from since the 1969 k5 and jimmy had drums up front to begin with as far as I can tell. We had to source parts based on the 1970+ models. The front discs were beat pretty bad too. On the driver’s side it was gouged to 1⁄8″ on each side of the rotor. Ruined.It did have a dana 44 axle but some things had been modified. The brake lines had to all be rebuilt because extensions were put on a strange fashion rather than simply getting extended lines. As an aside I don't like steel braided. They are known to fail and redirect hydro physics that was not originally intended for that area. Lines were built locally by Oxnard hose. The knuckles were removed and we replaced all the components. Yes we stripped, blasted and sanded this after the ball joints were added. The tech got ahead of us by a little. It made it hard to clean up of course but we managed to work around it. We didn't just paint over the grime.
We replaced the driver’s side rotor and rebuilt the various internals replacing seals on everything except the inside of the pumpkin. The oil all looked good so we didn’t want to explode it for this project.
There will be some more pictures coming, but we painted the axle shafts and everything and it is starting to look really clean. Next is off to Mercenary Offroad for bumper and fabrication work. We are excited to see. This will be #001 first generation chevy bumper. More to come.